Monday, January 3, 2011

The Correct Term

What's more appropriate:"illegal alien" or "undocumented immigrant"?

I think that the people who come to the United States, crossing our borders, illegally, are illegal aliens. They are not simply undocumented immigrants. They are criminals who have crossed the border, cutting the other people who get green cards, apply for citizenship, and are waiting in line. Why soften it up and change the term to undocumented immigrant? Leo Laurence of Quill Magazine made some silly remark saying that the Society of Professional Journalists is advocating the changing the term "illegal immigrant" because it is politically incorrect.

Silly Leo. It's funny that the Society of Professional Journalists then goes to publish a note on its website: "The views expressed by Leo Laurence in Quill Magazine, SPJ's Diversity Committee blog "Who's News," and on subsequent television programs are his personal opinion and do not reflect the views of SPJ nor its Diversity Committee. Contrary to what has been reported, SPJ has not engaged in any initiative to end the use of the term 'illegal immigrant.'"

Is it a crime to come into the United States illegally, even if it's just so that he/she and his/her family can have a better life?

Yes.

1 comments:

tchou13 said...

I have to say that I agree with your post.

Do I/we hate immigrants? Of course not. How can I, when my own parents were immigrants from Taiwan. The difference, a KEY difference? They came here legally.

I sympathize with illegal immigrants who cross our borders. I really do - their lives are usually terrible. Terrible enough for them to want to risk their lives to move to America for more opportunities.

But once they're here, they use up our tax dollars. They benefit in general from things that we pay for. If they want to stay? Fine. They have to pay for it, like every other good citizen. If they get caught? They shouldn't have any complaints.

At the end of the day, they're illegal. There's no more "politically correct" way to say it.