Did that title catch your attention? I'm sure it did. If I were a reader, it would catch my attention, too - simple, but comical and intriguing. But how offensive is that word, "stupid"? I'm sure you might use it with your friends casually, but for a global leader (i.e. President Obama) to say that the police acted "stupidly" in the incident of Harvard Professor Gates is unnecessary. I'm quite certain there are a thousand other ways of saying it. For example: "That was unnecessary," or "It was just an unfortunate misunderstanding." Apparently, these words weren't as appealing as "stupid" to our president.
For more information on the incident and the outrage, here are some links:
Police Union Condemn...
Obama and Racism...
CNN
I, on the other hand, want to discuss a different topic. Racism. Why does race always have to be a factor in people's judgements? I don't know the answer, but I do know that no matter how hard we try, racism will never be extinguished from human society. Racism is wrong and unjustified, because it is based off of physical and superficial human qualities such as skin color or eye shape. However, it's high time that people try to move on and not place the "race card" constantly. Yes, we know that millions of African-Americans have suffered throughout the centuries from the earliest signs of servitude and slavery, to the 20th century Civil Rights movement. But, why linger on the past, when one can move forward and try to make a better future? Thousands of Asians have also suffered from racism and mistreatment throughout the years. For example, in the 80's in the midwest, I can assure you that not all Asians were treated with equal respect that they deserved. Many people are racist, and those who are mistreated might even be racist themselves. However, I don't believe racism should be used an excuse for why some people haven't been able to "move up" in the world or for anything else that they might be unhappy with. People can overcome those kinds of obstacles such as racism and achieve many extraordinary things.
So, my question to you is this...Do you think people will ever let go of the past? E-mail me your ideas!
0 comments:
Post a Comment