How do you differentiate between truth and fallacy? Easy. Truth has evidence and it's realistic. Fallacy? Well that's everything that truth isn't. Fallacies are things that can not be substantiated with concrete reasoning and proof.
If the fundamentals of true and false are so simple, why is it actually very difficult to extrapolate the truth in matters such as...oh I don't know...the theory of evolution?
Science and religion seem to always be at odds. The Theory of Evolution is constantly debated, as is the Big Bang Theory. How was the earth created? How did mankind become what it is today? Do we share a common ancestor, eventually diverging into different groups of species and bacteria? Or is there a Greater Being (i.e. God) that reigns from above?
Coming from a religious family, I see it from both sides. I believe myself to be a full-Christian (however you might define/perceive that as). Yet, growing up in the 21st century, I do have a significant amount of trust in science. As I looked through a forum, I came upon this video. Though the topic is discussing the validity of Bill O'Reilly's techniques of debate on his Fox News show, The O'Reilly Factor, the debates themselves are amusing and intriguing.
After being brought to my attention, the subject of whether or not the Theory of Evolution should be taught in schools has really stuck in my mind. On one hand, I do believe that all students should be given the opportunity to learn and become aware of the fact that such a theory exists. It's important to be knowledgeable when we live in such a diverse and technology-oriented science today. Yet, students (especially those who might be religious) should also be given the chance to understand that there are some things that science cannot always explain. The school system in the United States is very influential, especially with the younger children. If one option is offered as an explanation, other reasons should be offered simultaneously.
This matter is very complicated, and the debating shall probably continue throughout the centuries. However, til then, perhaps we need to reevaluate the situation. It is the minds of the future inhabitants of the world that we're talking about.
0 comments:
Post a Comment