As many of you may well know, President Obama was a strong advocate of making Chicago, Illinois, the next place for the summer Olympics in 2016.
It sounded like a good idea - the United States being the home of the next summer Olympics. That is, until Chicago was ruled out immediately after Round 1 of the selection process. Even after the persuasive attempts by the First Lady, Michelle Obama, herself, the committee remained adamant to keep Chicago out of the running. Where is all that egotism now?
Instead, the honor has gone to Rio de Janeiro, the second largest city of Brazil. I congratulate them on this honor - even beating out Madrid in the final round of selection! However, I am still disappointed that Chicago did not receive this very same honor; yet, I am amused. Let's all remind ourselves of the current state of our country's economy and morale. Though this could have been an ideal opportunity to reestablish foreign relations and our global status as a nation, it's okay my fellow Americans. We still have other things to worry about.
0 comments:
Post a Comment