President Obama's aide, White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel was reported saying, "F-ing retarded." I really don't care in what context that came up and why he said it, or how angry he was, you don't say that. As many of you might know, I'm quite the Anti-r-word fanatic, as I haven't said "retarded" in approximately 8 months now (woo!).
Earlier last year, the Huffington Post used the word "retarded" in a deragotory sense, and now President Obama's own staff is saying it? What kind of world do we live in. These public officials, these "civil servants" need to set examples for people. In the public eye, they are the most criticized and also the most looked up to. They know they will be in the limelight and they will be up for constant criticism, so why not be self-conscious and speak like a mature, considerate adult?
Now Rahm is apologizing, but if he really knew how insulting he was, he wouldn't have said it in the first place. It's bad enough that he said it once in public, but now I wonder what he says behind closed doors.
More info Here.
Why aren't more people furious?? I know I am, and if my e-Buddy from the Best Buddies Program were to find out about this, I'm sure she would be very deeply hurt.
Although President Obama didn't use the r-word, someone from his selected staff did. The staff's actions reflect President Obama and his decisions. Just as Vice President Dick Cheney was criticized for the accidental shooting of someone and the media/society hounded President Bush for selecting such an "incompetent" man for a vice president, I shall now do the same for President Obama. The people who work for him reflect President Obama, just as if your secretary made an error with the client, you yourself would appear inadequate.
So. Once again. Say it with me everyone. I will not use the word "retarded" as an insult or with any negative connotation. Ahem. Rahm Emanuel. Ahem.
0 comments:
Post a Comment