Friday, June 25, 2010

Plus One for Kagan

Well, Elena Kagan has earned herself a point in my book (not that it means anything to earn a point in my book, but who cares).

Of course, I was skeptical of the Democrat nominee for the Supreme Court, Elena Kagan. Was it biased of me to be immediately unsupportive of someone, simply due to the fact that he/she was a registered Democrat? Yes. But I'm seventeen, what can I say.

When I read that Elena Kagan has consistently demonstrated anti-pornography sentiments, I said to myself, "Plus ONE for Elena Kagan!" Socially, I think that pornography is destructive; no, I may not believe it to be a "social evil", but I do think that it adds anything positive to society. A lot of people may argue that you cannot simply dismiss pornography or the pornography industry, simply because our ethical beliefs lead us to believe that it is wrong. After all, this is the United States of America, where we all have our right to free speech and yada yada yada. I hate it when people constantly use the argument that because we are American citizens, we have the RIGHT to do whatever we want. It's an INFRINGEMENT upon our rights if we can't do this, or can't do that. I'm quite defensive about my rights as a U.S. citizen, but I don't think that I would use my rights as a fallback argument of some sorts.

Bottom line: This round goes to Elena Kagan! Crack your whip of justice.

0 comments: