Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Happy Birthday

On Twitter, all I could see were people updating their statuses to say something along the lines of "YAY. PROP 8 IS GONE!" Yes, Proposition 8 - the proposition outlawing gay marriages - has been reversed by the San Francisco judge. In a way, I'm happy for the LGBT community, but overall, I can't say that I'm glad that Prop 8 doesn't stand.

But we all knew that no matter which way the decision went, this case would go up to a higher court - first the 9th U.S. Court of Appeals, then perhaps the Supreme Court. I don't think this conflict of accepting the LGBT community will ever end. I don't think I'll go into my views on homosexuality since I've done so before. In addition, I wouldn't want to ruin the fact that today is..

President Obama's birthday! Yay. Really. I'm ecstatic. Can't you tell?
But yes, Happy 49th Birthday, Mr. President. I'm glad to see that he could escape to Chicago for what Politico.com calls a "low-key" birthday celebration. My 11-year-old sister's friend texted her in the morning to say, "Happy bday obama!" My sister and I just rolled our eyes.

I wonder how President Obama feels about this step forward for homosexuals in California?

This article seems to say it all: NyMAG.

0 comments: