Thursday, October 21, 2010

People

Today, my International Issues & Public Policy teacher brought up an interesting point in class. He posed the question, "Is California a place where we're too concerned with being afraid to offend that we don't deal with the real issues?"

My answer to this interesting question is YES. People these days want to sue and be offended at the slightest things. Thus, nobody really speaks out against what they don't believe in if the cause isn't supported by the masses. Why are people afraid to be a lone wolf? For example, what if I was offended by the "coming out" videos on National Coming Out Day? Does that mean I can go and bash all gay people and complain to the school? Yes. But why would I do that? It's okay to have different opinions; why do people need to be so sensitive to these issues?

It is similar to those people who were offended that the Pledge of Allegiance says "under God"; it's ridiculous. It's similar to people complaining about the dollar bill because it says "In God We Trust." I'm sorry, should we reprint dollar bills all over again because you're offended? I'm sorry, no thank you.

People in California are very accepting, perhaps more so than other states. Here, we accept gay marriage, legalized pot, etc. But does that mean we can't believe in things that are different from what a majority of society thinks? I'm not afraid.

I encourage you all to speak up for what you believe in - whether you are supported by many or not. If people are so accepting, they should accept different opinions wholeheartedly, no?

0 comments: