Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Help for All?

As I was listening to the radio earlier this week, the talk show hosts were discussing the problems with the lack of clarification in the Obama administration's new health care program. One main issue was that two parts of the proposal were contradictory - the policy that undocumented immigrants would not be treated, and the policy that formal verification of citizenship would not be mandatory when purchasing the health care. I was slightly amused at this discovery of fault in the proposal. However, now that these issues have been cleared up according to Msnbc, I suppose I can stop laughing now.

What really bothers me is the fact that even in emergency situations, the undocumented immigrants (i.e. illegal immigrants) are allowed to be treated, and the hospitals will eventually be refunded by a federal grant program. No, I'm not an inhumane person; I still want these people to somehow be treated, especially if they're in critical condition. However, I don't understand why these illegal immigrants are even allowed to stay in the United States once it's been discovered that they are not legal citizens. What gives them the right to use the people's money so they can go to the hospital? It's all very complicated, in my opinion. I suppose that's why teenagers aren't allowed to be politicans.

0 comments: