Friday, September 25, 2009

Knock Knock, Who's There - Terrorists

You see cars and other vehicles almost every day of your life, whether it be on the streets, in garages, or on the highway. Isn't it disturbing to think that one of those cars could contain highly-dangerous explosives that could kill a mass amount of people? This makes me want to stay away from any vans or trucks.

Recently, in the U.S., there have been several reported domestic threats against our national security. I won't be talking about the specifics, because that will just bore you, but you can go to Yahoo! News to get a quick summary of what's been going on. I don't understand this concept of Jihad. I took A.P. World History last year, I've been studying Islam since the 7th grade, and yet, I still don't understand how these religious jihads can be so violent. Dictionary.com defines as "a holy war undertaken as a sacred duty by Muslims." This holy war has been interpreted as many different types of "wars," may it be as radical as sacrificing yourself as a suicide bomber to making subtle protests in the community. Being religious myself, I understand that the religious text (for Muslims, the Koran) and religious practices such as jihad may be very important. Yet why must they take the lives of others in the process? I thought that the very fundamentals of Islam was that they were accepting of all religions; they may not practice or accept them in society, necessarily, but they surely were tolerant. I never thought this holy war concept must be so extreme.

So, why do they keep coming to the United States, seeking revenge? Where will all these innocent deaths get them? Is it for their pride? Their religion? Their hatred of Americans? I don't know, but I really hope that these terrorists keep to themselves and stop scaring us. I don't want to be scared every time I see a deserted van.

0 comments: