That's what the single protester's sign read as I drove by yesterday. When former President Bush was in office, at the beginning of the War on Terrorism, large groups of protesters were present all over the U.S. One particular place was on the corner of a street near the large shopping complex near my house. Signs saying "Bring our troops home!" and others such things in regards to the negative aspects of the war could often be seen as upset families and citizens marched up and down the street. As time has passed, the number of these protesters has diminished considerably. I never really thought I'd still see anybody protesting the war until these past few weeks. In particular, yesterday, one lonely protester stood on the corner of the street and held up a large sign saying "Stop Militarizing Our Youth!". I don't quite understand. Although I know how difficult it is for families, relatives, and friends of those who have committed themselves to a life of serving in the United States military and armed forces, I don't see how anybody is "militarizing" these soldiers. There has been no draft to force anyone to join the army. Usually, when people join the military, they know the hard work, dedication, and potential sacrifice they might have to make in the future if their country requires this of them. There is always a choice...isn't there? Or am I missing something.
So, yes, I do sympathize with those who have lost loved ones in the war, or who are suffering without their loved ones near them because they are serving in the war at the moment. However, really, there is no "militarizing" going on right now. So...let's put the cardboard signs away and find something else to protest about...like...pollution?
0 comments:
Post a Comment