
MONEY!
No, I'm kidding, it's not. But, from what I can see, Americans adore food. Though our economy is in recession, the popular restaurants in town are continuously packed with lines out the door. For example, here in San Jose, there's a popular outdoor-venue mall called Santana Row. On Friday and weekend nights, the bars, trendy restaurants, and cafes are full of people - the entire parking lot is full! Like tonight, for example, we went to a seafood restaurant near my house called The Boiling Crab. The line was out the door, and the room was packed. This restaurant wasn't exactly McDonald's low-priced either. So as I see large groups of teenagers and college students come in to dine, I ask myself - how on earth are they paying for this? Shouldn't they be saving their money for more important things? It's interesting that though the economy is the way it is, the concept of eating and food is still important. People will always need to eat, and people will always enjoy eating, too.
Similarly, we all still need our Starbucks and coffee in the morning. That's a perfect example! Why is it that many of us spend 1.75 on a Tall sized Decaf Coffee in the morning at Starbucks, when at home, it takes half-an-hour to brew or a few minutes with instant coffee? I have no idea. I can't really say anything, since I, too, enjoy Starbucks hot chocolates quite frequently.
So THIS is where all of our money is going - the food industry.
0 comments:
Post a Comment